So apparently I was featured as number 10 last May in Diet To Go’s 100 Inspirational Weight Loss Bloggers post. Here’s what they had to say about me:
“Contrary to the title, Helen’s blog is anything but “another weight loss blog.” Helen’s been on a journey to lose weight since June 2013. She’s had many ups and downs along the way — which is one of the best things you’ll notice about her posts: that she never gives up and she is extremely positive no matter how difficult things get. If you’re looking to find real encouragement from someone who knows, look no further.”
How nice is that?! I can’t believe it’s been so long since I started blogging, and unfortunately I weigh more now than I did then. But I’m still here, I haven’t given up and I know a lot more now than I did back then.
I’m feeling a bit introspective now about my journey so far, here are the top five things I’ve learned:
- Never give up. You started for a reason, so when you struggle go back and find the reason again.
- Planning is key in healthy living. Prepare things in advance, have that gym kit packed the night before, make sure the fridge is full of healthy snacks. Be a boy scout. Be prepared.
- Diets do not work. I kind of knew this already, but permanent weight loss requires a permanent lifestyle change.
- Celebrate the small victories. If I waited until I reach my target weight to treat myself, I’d never feel encouraged. Make smaller milestones and reward yourself for those.
- Do not underestimate the people around you. When I started my journey I didn’t tell people around me what I was doing. When they started to notice my losses, they were so supportive, and I could have had that from the start.